- Welcome to Osmocom OpenBSC
- Overview Diagram
We have started with an A-bis (plus BSC/MSC/HLR) implementation for experimentation and research purpose, but have since moved way beyond that.
What this means: OpenBSC is not just a standard BSC, but a GSM network in a box software, implementing the minimal necessary parts to build a small, self-contained GSM network.
OpenBSC includes functionality normally performed by the following components of a GSM network: BSC (Base Station Controller), MSC (Mobile Switching Center), HLR (Home Location Register), AuC (Authentication Center), VLR (Visitor Location Register), EIR (Equipment Identity Register).
We have started with the Siemens BS11 microBTS, mainly targetted the ip.access nanoBTS for some years, but has since been extended to support a variety of other BTS equipment like the Ericsson RBS 2000 family. Today, most of the users and active developers work not with proprietary BTSs, but with BTSs running our OsmoBTS software, i.e. either the sysmoBTS family of hardware or SDR based hardware with OsmoTRX like the UmTRX or UmSITE.
We are always looking for HardwareDonations of any kind of GSM / 3G related carrier equipment.
Please see the below overview diagram about common possible configurations of the Osmocom software.
- Software for running a full minimal GSM Network in a Box:
- Software utilities for BTS configuration, provisioning and the like
- Software for running a BTS
- Software for running in pure BSC only mode, attaching via A/SCCP to a MSC
- osmo-bsc -- OpenBSC in BSC-only mode
- bsc_msc_ip -- A previous utility to connect to a MSC via A over IP
- bsc_mgcp -- A stupid MediaGatewayControlProtocol (MGCP) gateway
- bsc_mgcp_VTY -- Reference for the interactive command line and config file
- Software for UMA/GAN (Unified Mobile Access)
- Special purpose software for aggregating multiple A or Gb links
- bsc_nat -- a BSC NAT/Multiplexer
- osmo-gbproxy -- A proxy/gateway for aggregating multiple Gb links betwen BSS and SGSN
- osmo-gbproxy_VTY -- Reference for the interactive command line and config file
- Testing -- Comments and what makes sense to test for releases
- GPRS related software
- OpenBSC related
- PortNumbers -- A list of TCP port numbers as they are used by OpenBSC and related programs
- Protocol extensions
- MgcpExtensions -- Extensions to MGCP
- simulation -- Running OpenBSC without a GSM Basestation
- Important legal information on SoftwareLicensing
- meas_web -- Web based measurement utility for OpenBSC
Information related to a specific BTS model¶
Topics related to BTSs with classic E1 interface (non-IP based):¶
- GSM -- Some links for starting to understand GSM
- LegalNotes -- Important Legal notes on operating GSM base stations
- FieldTests -- The OpenBSC field tests and their reports
- Standard configuration:
- Advanced topics:
- OpenBSC_with_Asterisk -- A comprehensive tutorial on setting up OpenBSC with Asterisk
- OpenBSC_LCR -- OpenBSC+LCR with Asterisk (obsolete)
- OpenBSC_LCR_Ubuntu1204 -- Short installation guide for OpenBSC with Asterisk on Ubuntu 12.04
- OpenBSC_Crypto -- Howto add A5/x cryptography support to your OpenBSC setup
- SDR_OsmoTRX_network_from_scratch -- Building everything from scratch for SDR based hardware with OsmoTRX, OsmoBTS and OsmoNITB.
- RF Topics:
- Browse the repositories at http://git.osmocom.org/
- Continuous Integration efforts
- Wiki is right here ;)
- Developer conferences: OsmoDevCon
- Tasks -- Tasks/Internships/Junior Jobs for OpenBSC and Osmocom
- Devtools -- Various tools to find/fix errors, send patches, etc
- Coding_standards -- Coding standards
- PacketDump -- Using wireshark on PCAP files
- OpenBSC ran many more experimental and commercial networks, but no one bothered to update this section...
- OpenBSC was running an experimental GSM network at CCC Camp in the Summer of 2011
- OpenBSC was running an experimental GSM network at 27c3 in December 2010
- The slides of the 25C3 presentation Running your own GSM network are available.
- The slides of the 26C3 presentation Fuzzing GSM handsets using OpenBSC are available
- simplehlr -- A web interface for the OpenBSC HLR database
- OsmocomBB - Free Software GSM protocol stack for mobile phones
- The THC GSM project
- Homepage of Dr.-Ing. Joachim Goeller