Build a batch of Openvizsla USB LS/FS/HS protocol tracers
It seems that in 2014/2015, a group of people were developing an Open Hardware / Gateware / Host-Software USB protocol tracer called Openvizsla.Information can be found at
It seems that the main designer of the hardware has passed away, and that together with the lengthy / failure-prone development process has made the project discontine at some point in 2015.
I think it might make sense to revive the project. We could build a batch of boards, see how well it works, and then decided if we'd go ahead with it. It would be easy for sysmocom to add it to the webshop, to ensure cotinued availability.
I'm currently trying to see if I can get my hands on a "known working" existing board, before deciding on whether to build some prototype[s] ourselves only to asses the state of the current project.
- generate BOM from Altium project
- generate Gerber from Altium project
- order PCBs
- have PCBs assembled
#2 Updated by laforge about 1 year ago
- Checklist item generate BOM from Altium project added
- Checklist item generate Gerber from Altium project added
- Checklist item order PCBs added
- Checklist item have PCBs assembled added
- Status changed from New to Stalled
- % Done changed from 0 to 10
Felix Domke sent me a fully assembled OV 3.2 board. It worked fine with ov_ftdi master, and I could take some USB protocol traces that were decoded in text.
So I guess we're all set for producing a batch of boards.
The biggest missing part is somebody who is able to render Gerber from the Altium PcbDoc file. And as an added bonus, remove all the advertisement logos on the silk screen.
#4 Updated by laforge about 1 year ago
- Checklist item generate BOM from Altium project set to Done
- Checklist item generate Gerber from Altium project set to Done
- File OpenVizsla-BOM.csv OpenVizsla-BOM.csv added
- File OpenVizsla_gerber.zip OpenVizsla_gerber.zip added
- File OpenVizsla_pick-and-place.csv OpenVizsla_pick-and-place.csv added
- File OpenVizsla_PRINT.pdf OpenVizsla_PRINT.pdf added
- File ov_ftdi_s.GTO ov_ftdi_s.GTO added
I'm attaching gerber/bom exports from Altium Designer, including a top-silk-screen-layer without the various sponsor logos
- Assignee changed from laforge to mschramm
the ball has been on my side for many weeks now. Martin + I have sent our change requests to Brita (the Altium-capable designer doing the changes). Once we get feedback (expected in a week or so), we can proceed ordering some PCBAs. Still have to think about the panel + batch size.