Idea: Host regular "OsmoDevCall"
As the pandemic continues and physical meetings are out of the question for the forseeable future, it would be a good idea to have a periodic virtual online meeting of the interested Osmocom community.
I was thinking of a format where we would serve two major purposes:
- technical presentations about osmocom relevant topics - ideally current/recent developments
- can be pre-recorded to avoid any problems with technical setup, streaming, ...
- should ideally have a Q+A session at their initial "airing" during one OsmoDevCall
- unstructured solicited social event (USSE)
- random chat in audio (optionally video)
- not recorded, obviously
The recording of the technical presentation should then be permanently made available (like the presentations of our prior OsmoCon / OsmoDevCon).
Not every OsmoDevCall would neccessarily need the two parts, but I think it would be great if we can make that happen. We could also have e.g. a two-weekly schedule for the USSE and a monthly schedule for the technical presentation.
We'd need somebody to volunteer to "manage" the "broadcast" side of this, preferably somebody with at least some prior exposure to online events (like the c3voc).
I'd like to use the checklist of this ticket to collect a list of topics for the technical presentations.
- iceE1usb in practice
- mult-TRX + frequency hopping in OsmoBTS
- MSC pooling
- SGSN pooling
- Frame Relay based Gb interface / NS2
- Cell Broadcast and OsmoCBC
- Distributed GSM
- E1 based BTSs using OsmoBSC + OsmoMGW
- Location Services and OsmoLCS
- osmo-remsim in practice
- SIMtrace2 tutorial
- building wired RF test setups for cellular
- CSFB with Osmocom + open5gs EPC
- Long range telecommunications in HF band
- Visualizing Osmo* internals with opentelemetry
- Hacking binary protocols with Pycrate
- State of TTCN-3 test cases for OsmoPCU
- DebugMux: getting baseband logs from old Sony Ericsson phones
- PV solar array generation and house power consumption monitoring with osmo-modbus
#6 Updated by khorben about 2 months ago
I have been hosting a monthly online event since April last year with Jitsi Meet, recording with OBS, and live streaming (YouTube or twitch for instance). We supported up to 15 active participants on Jitsi Meet so far; it may or may not work for more. I could help create a new setup or volunteer with the broadcasting. Let me know if you would like to plan a test session.
#9 Updated by fixeria about 1 month ago
- Checklist item Hacking binary protocols with Pycrate added
- Checklist item State of TTCN-3 test cases for OsmoPCU added
- Checklist item mult-TRX + frequency hopping in OsmoBTS set to Done
- Checklist item VAMOS set to Done
I am in! Adding the talks I was planning to give at OsmoDevCon 2020. Confirming by marking items as checked.
[ ] State of TTCN-3 test cases for OsmoPCU
pespin as was already discussed, we can give this "talk" together.
[ ] VAMOS
I guess neels and/or @Hoernchen may want to join this topic.
- Status changed from New to In Progress
- % Done changed from 0 to 30
Ok, I guess I finally need to get my act together and get this going.
In terms of platform, I've asked a German Internet NGO I used to be involved with (KNF) if we can host the event on their BBB. They're using this for a number of their own events (some I participated in) and I think BBB is the better platform for a meeting like this compared to e.g. jitsi mete (which sysmocom operates an instacne of and we could also use, if required).
In terms of timing, there was a bit of a discussion on IRC last night, and there was some indication to do it Friday evening. Normally not the best time if you want to get people's attention, but the assumption is that during COVID times, people don't have a chance to go out anyway.
I'll move the information in this ticket to a wiki page and send a first announcement as soon as I have feedback from KNF regarding the user of their BBB.