Osmocom Cellular Network Infrastructure¶
- Table of contents
- Osmocom Cellular Network Infrastructure
- Overview Diagram
- Getting started
- Software for a Base Transceiver Station
- Software for running a full minimal GSM Network in a Box
- Software for running in pure BSC only mode, attaching via A/SCCP to a MSC
- Software for UMA/GAN (Unified Mobile Access)
- Special purpose software for aggregating multiple A or Gb links
- GPRS/EDGE related software
- Related projects
- This Wiki
This is a project aiming to create a Free Software, (A)GPL-licensed software implementations for the GSM/3GPP protocol stacks and network elements.
We had originally started with an A-bis (plus BSC/MSC/HLR) implementation for experimentation and research purpose (now called OpenBSC, but have since moved way beyond that.
What this means: OpenBSC is not just a standard BSC, but a GSM network in a box software, implementing the minimal necessary parts to build a small, self-contained GSM network.
OpenBSC includes functionality normally performed by the following components of a GSM network: BSC (Base Station Controller), MSC (Mobile Switching Center), HLR (Home Location Register), AuC (Authentication Center), VLR (Visitor Location Register), EIR (Equipment Identity Register).
We have started with the Siemens BS11 microBTS, mainly targetted the ip.access nanoBTS for some years, but has since been extended to support a variety of other BTS equipment like the Ericsson RBS 2000 family. Today, most of the users and active developers work not with proprietary BTSs, but with BTSs running our OsmoBTS software, i.e. either the sysmoBTS family of hardware or SDR based hardware with OsmoTRX like the UmSITE.
We are always looking for HardwareDonations of any kind of GSM / 3G related carrier equipment.
There is also continued work on creating a Free Software / Open Source software SS7 (M3UA, SUA, SCCP, TCAP, MAP) protocol stack in Erlang, as well as a number of other side projects like the SIMtrace protocol tracer/sniffer for (U)SIM APDUs.
Please see the below overview diagram about common possible configurations of the Osmocom software.
Software for a Base Transceiver Station¶
- OsmoBTS -- A BTS implementation
- : -- A packet control unit for GPRS/EDGE enabling the BTS.
Software for running a full minimal GSM Network in a Box¶
- OsmoNITB -- A stand-alone gsm-network-in-a-box program implementing minimal subset of BSC, MSC, HLR, AuC and EIR.
Software for running in pure BSC only mode, attaching via A/SCCP to a MSC¶
- OsmoBSC -- OpenBSC in BSC-only mode
- bsc_mgcp -- A stupid MediaGatewayControlProtocol (MGCP) gateway
- bsc_mgcp_VTY -- Reference for the interactive command line and config file
Software for UMA/GAN (Unified Mobile Access)¶
Special purpose software for aggregating multiple A or Gb links¶
- bsc_nat -- a BSC NAT/Multiplexer
- osmo-gbproxy -- A proxy/gateway for aggregating multiple Gb links betwen BSS and SGSN
- osmo-gbproxy_VTY -- Reference for the interactive command line and config file
- Testing -- Comments and what makes sense to test for releases
GPRS/EDGE related software¶
- OsmoSGSN -- A work-in-progress SGSN
- Important legal information on SoftwareLicensing
- meas_web -- Web based measurement utility for OpenBSC
- Software utilities for BTS configuration, provisioning and the like
- Browse the repositories at http://git.osmocom.org/
- Mailinglist is at "* Continuous Integration efforts"httplistsgnumonksorgmailmanlistinfoopenbsc
- Wiki is right here ;)
- Developer conferences: OsmoDevCon2016, OsmoDevCon2015, OsmoDevCon2014, OsmoDevCon2013, OsmoDevCon2012
- Tasks -- Tasks/Internships/Junior Jobs for OpenBSC and Osmocom
- Devtools -- Various tools to find/fix errors, send patches, etc
- Coding_standards -- Coding standards
Tools for developers¶
- WandelGoltermannMA10 -- a GSM protocol analyzer ISA card
- TektronixK1103 -- GSM protocol tester and analyzer
- PacketDump -- Using wireshark on PCAP files
- MagicSIM -- SIM cards where you can program the Ki
- OsmocomBB - Free Software GSM protocol stack for mobile phones
- [http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/OpenBTS OpenBTS":http://bb.osmocom.org/]
- The THC GSM project
- Homepage of Dr.-Ing. Joachim Goeller
- to "for funding part of the OpenBSC development
- to [http://junghanns.net":http://netzing.de] for supporting us with discounted E1 boards
- to "for funding part of the OpenBSC development
- to Kevin Redon for the Osmocom logo
Please check the project/wiki pages of the respecitve sub-projects.
This wiki contains information that is shared by the various sub-projects.
A full list of wiki pages is listed below:
- Accelerate3g5 -- alteholz
- Accelerate3g5 -- andreas
- Accelerate3g5 -- benoit
- Accelerate3g5 -- blobb
- Accelerate3g5 -- dima
- Accelerate3g5 -- encrypt
- Accelerate3g5 -- escogido
- Accelerate3g5 -- meathbroadband
- Accelerate3g5 -- neels
- Accelerate3g5 -- theresa
- Accelerate3g5 -- unicornteam
- Accelerate3g5 -- unrznbl
- Accelerate3g5 -- vbohinc
- Binary Packages
- Build from Source
- Configuration Guide
- Emergency Warning
- Free Open Source Software
- IRC Channel
- Letters of Support
- Mailing List Rules
- Make a new release
- Port Numbers
- Public Warning System
- Review 2017
- SIM Cards
- Titan TTCN3 Notes
- User-Contributed Tutorials
- Videos of Presentations
- Virtual GSM Load Testing
- Virtual Um
- Voice Broadcast Call
- Weekly BTS Tests