laforge, 03/23/2021 06:59 PM
h1. M.2 (NGFF) WWAN modem USB breakout board
This is a small break-out board for M.2 (NGFF) type cellular / WWAN modems.
It allows you to insert a M.2 modem from any vendor, and it will provide you with:
* microUSB-B (3.0) socket for connection to a USB Host (like your PC/Laptop or Embedded System)
* 5V DC input for power supply (USB supply usually insufficient for current peaks of a modem)
* all unused m.2 pins on a 2.54mm break-out header
* 2x SIM card slot for a 2FF-sized SIM, USIM or RUIM cards (dual-SIM)
* socket for the PCIe lane on the m.2 connector; allows you to connect the board to a PCIe bus/port of a computer by means of a PCIe slot adapter (not included)
Particularly the break-out header is useful to get access to various signals exported in a non-standard fashion by some modem models, such as digital audio PCM.
h2. Picture of assembled board
h2. Design Files, Schematics, Component Placement
The design files can be found in the @ngff-breakout@ directory of the @osmo-small-hardware@ git repository. See http://git.osmocom.org/osmo-small-hardware/tree/ngff-breakout
h2. Where to buy
h3. Open Source Hardware
The general idea of Open Hardware projects is that anyone is allowed to build the design. So feel free to take the design files and build it yourself, either modified or unmodified. Please make sure you always
* attribute the original author (Attribution)
* release any changes to the design files under the same terms (Share Alike)
h2. Fully assembled kits for purchase
If you would like to buy a fully-assembled version of this board, including all required accessories, you are able to order it from the "sysmocom webshop":http://shop.sysmocom.de/products/m2-wwan-modem-break-out-board-kit
The "sysmocom data sheet":https://sysmocom.de/downloads/m2_breakout_board.pdf includes a list of all included accessories.
h2. Further reading