OsmoMGW, the Osmocom Media Gateway, is a Media Gateway for handling user plane (voice) traffic in cellular networks.
At the moment (August 2022), OsmoMGW implements RTP proxy / RTP bridge type endpoints, to each of which two RTP connections can be established. It also implements RTP / E1 endpoints that allow bridging RTP voice streams to bit synchronous E1 lines. Since each codec uses a specific TRAU format, the codec support is currently limited to GSM-FR and GSM-EFR (16k I.460 subslot).We are planning to add featurs for
- classic E1/T1 timeslots (64kBps alaw/ulaw)
- announcement/playout end-points
- conference endpoints
- IuUP/RTP to RTP conversion (3G, 2G interoperability)
OsmoMGW is the generalized version of an earlier much more special-purpsoe implementation called osmo-bsc_mgcp.
Situation in a typical Osmocom cellular network¶
Osmocom provides binary packages for several flavors of Debian and Ubuntu GNU/Linux on a variety of architectures (i586, x86_64, armhf, armv7l). Unless you are a software developer interested in developing on Osmocom, it is recommended you use those packages instead of building from source.
For more details see Binary_Packages
- osmo-mgw user manual: http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmomgw-usermanual.pdf
- osmo-mgw VTY reference: http://ftp.osmocom.org/docs/latest/osmomgw-vty-reference.pdf
The source code is available from
Public read-only access is available via
git clone https://gitea.osmocom.org/cellular-infrastructure/osmo-mgw
You can browse it via gitea: https://gitea.osmocom.org/cellular-infrastructure/osmo-mgw
Contributions are welcome via Gerrit.
Test Suite¶We have a TTCN-3 test suite as part of our Titan_TTCN3_Testsuites
- source code: https://gitea.osmocom.org/ttcn3/osmo-ttcn3-hacks/src/branch/master/mgw
- results: https://jenkins.osmocom.org/jenkins/view/TTCN3/job/ttcn3-mgw-test/
- Contact us via the openbsc@ mailing list, see Mailing Lists.
- Contributions are welcome via Gerrit.
- Git repository browser at https://gitea.osmocom.org/cellular-infrastructure/osmo-mgw
Commercial support as well as development, system integration and training services for this project are available from sysmocom