PageOutline = osmo-pcu =
A PCU (Packet Control Unit) is one of the two GPRS elements in the BSS. It implements the RLC and MAC layers of the GPRS
Um (radio) interface on the MS-facing side, as well as the Gb Interface (NS,BSSGP) on the SGSN-facing side.
osmo-pcu is the Osmocom implementation of this PCU functionality.
It implements a custom L1 interface that can be used with [wiki:OsmoBTS] (specifically its
[http://www.sysmocom.de/products/sysmobts sysmoBTS] back-end), and also with
an unofficial version of OpenBTS that is being created by Fairwaves.
Towards the SGSN, the BSSGP and NS protocols are implemented over UDP/IP, sometimes called "NS over IP".
It has been tested with [wiki:OsmoSGSN] as well as an Ericsson SGSN so far.
osmo-pcu is not fully stable yet, but already performing useful service for a number of users.Source Code
The source code is available from git://git.osmocom.org/osmo-pcu.git
You can browse it online via http://cgit.osmocom.org/cgit/osmo-pcu/
The branch to be used with [wiki:OsmoBTS] and sysmoBTS is the 'jolly_merge' branch.Mailing List
There is a mailing list for (development) discussion regarding the PCU: email@example.com.
You can subscribe to it (or manage your subscription) at http://lists.osmocom.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/osmocom-pcu
Information about testing is available here: [wiki:GPRS-testing]
=== Supported === * GPRS CS1 to CS4 * single-slot and multi-slot operation on downlink * only single-slot operation on uplink
=== Shortcomings / Limitations / Restrictions ===
- Pure GPRS PCU, no EGPRS (EDGE) functionality
- Timeslots have to be assigned dedicated as a PDCH, no dynamic PDCH/TCH switching
- No support for hand-over of any sort yet
- No support of processing measurement reports
- No timing advance loop, i.e. maximum cell radius 2-3 km
- No dynamic link adaption for different coding schemes
- No resource-dependent flow control
- Single slot allocator only allocates from the first available PDCH