Basic checks to perform after production to make sure there are no critical issues with manufacturing.
1. Laboratory Power Supply Unit (PSU) 3-15V/0-2A with DC current indication or external ammeter.
2. Voltmeter or multimeter with good accuracy.
3. Spectrum analyzer, at least as good as Signal Hound.
4. PC with 1GbE port, configured with IP 192.168.10.1/24.
5. 1GbE capable cable, plugged into the PC port described above.
6. RF cables, adapters, attenuators etc.
You should download and build the Fairwaves version of UHD.
Then follow normal UHD build instructions. You only need to build 'host' part of UHD.
1. Critical issues¶
Check that all critical issues are fixed or worked around for the unit under the test.
2. Short circuit¶
- If the current consumption of UmTRX is limited by the PSU, check the power polarity. If the polarity is correct, mark this UmTRX unit as defective with the "over-current" label.
- If the current consumption is below the limit, slowly increase PSU output voltage to 12V. Current consumption should be less then 0.5A at 12V - probably around 0.3A (without Ethernet cable connected and without firmware loaded).
3. DC-DC converters¶Test voltages of all the following test points:
|U31-1, U31-2,brU32-1, U32-2||1.8V|
|Collector Q3br near GBEth||1.0V|
4. Clock source¶
Check that both switches of the S3 dip-switch are turned down (position "master"). Check that LED-I lights constantly (indicates that clock is OK) and LED-G lights constantly (indicates that GPS is powered on).
5. Ethernet PHY¶
Plug in an Ethernet cable, connected to a 1GbE network.
- Current draw should increase by about 100-150mA.
- LED6 and the right LED on the Ethernet connector should light constantly, LED5 and the left LED on the Ethernet connector might blink.
6. FPGA firmware¶
1. Switch off power.
2. Connect JTAG adapter.
3. Switch on power back.
4. Load firmware.
[[span(style=color: #FF0000, Describe LED status and debug port output.)]]
7. GPS sync¶
Connect GPS antenna and wait for ~1 min for LED G to start blinking - this means that GPS sync is acquired.
8. LEDs status¶
Check all LED's in according to functionality as described in [FeaturesAndTechnicalSpecification].
9. LMS init¶
[[span(style=color: #FF0000, Describe for both LMS chips.)]]
Connect the spectrum analyzer (SA) to the TX1 port and set the SA and TX to the same frequency, e.g. 960MHz. Find the TxLO leakage level.
To check LMS control lines adjust its configuration.
Usual contents of .bat file to init basic functions:
set lms=%C:\Python32\UmTRX\umtrx_lms.py --umtrx-addr 192.168.10.2 --lms 1% %LMS% --lms-init %LMS% --lms-tx-enable 1 %LMS% --lms-rx-enable 1 %LMS% --lms-set-tx-vga1-gain -10 %LMS% --pll-ref-clock 26e6 --lpf-bandwidth-code 0x0f --lms-auto-calibration %LMS% --lms-tx-pll-tune 960000000 %LMS% --lms-set-tx-pa 2 %LMS% --lms-set-tx-vga2-gain 20 %LMS% --lms-rx-pll-tune 915000000 %LMS% --lms-set-rx-vga2-gain 9 %LMS% --lms-set-rx-lna 3
10. Modulated Tx¶
Generate a modulated signal and check power consumption by functionality as described in PowerConsumption.
To get ideal GMSK modulation might be used the next example:
tx_samples_from_file.exe --rate 1083333 --freq 9478e5 --file gmsk.cfile --loop
To make measurements of phase error etc, better to run OpenBTS after LMS6002DCalibration.