Update/add counter and/or vty documentation for osmo-* programs
there are some statistics/counters available in OsmoNITB, OsmoSGSN, OsmoBTS, OsmoPCU
Please identify all of them and add documentation in the respective user manual.
#5 Updated by lynxis over 4 years ago
how the old counters (statistics.c), the newer ones (rate_ctr.c) and the new stats system (stats.c) work together.
statistics.c ---> stats.c rate_ctr.c -| stat_item.c -| (group description has the same struct, items not)
I'll create a command to generate asciidoc tables which then included into the documentation.
#6 Updated by lynxis over 4 years ago
similiar to the table osmobts-abis.pdf Table 9: Messages compliant with TS 12.21
#7 Updated by laforge over 4 years ago
- find a way to programmatically export the rate_ctr and stats_ctr similar in principle to what we do with the vty for generating the vty reference manual
- attempt to genrate one asciidoc table per counter group
- the table should contain a hyperlink to a chapter-anchor which is generate dfrom the counter name in the code
- the asciidoc output can then be amended with human-written further details about each of the counters
Legacy 'osmo_counter' do not require programmatic export, it should be sufficient to list them manually. Thet should be phased out and will probably be replaced by one of the later counters.
#10 Updated by laforge about 4 years ago
'show asciidoc counters' is working for quite some time. However, I cannot see the output inside the osmocom user manuals yet. I also couldn't find a branch in osmo-gsm-manuals.git which I could merge. Somehow I think this feature existed, but where can I find the code to merge automatic inclusion in the manuals? Lynxis?
#13 Updated by lynxis about 3 years ago
- BTS doesn't have any counters.
- MGW doesn't have any counters.
- GGSN doesn't have any counters.
- HLR doesn't even have the required vty command. Missing vty stats init?
laforge: I've dropped the NITB part. Is this ok?
#21 Updated by daniel over 1 year ago
- Status changed from Feedback to In Progress
- % Done changed from 80 to 60
Even most of the current statistics in the manuals are outdated. A while back I wrote a script to automate getting the VTY reference and counter documentation from our -master docker containers. This stalled because of difficulties using osmo-config-merge in these images in order to change the config file on-the-fly. I'm rebasing and reviewing this script now to update all the generated counter (and VTY while I'm at it) documentation.
I'm running it manually for now, but in the future it would be nice to have it automated.
#22 Updated by daniel over 1 year ago
- Checklist item Update osmo-bsc docs added
- % Done changed from 60 to 70
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/c/osmo-bsc/+/14388 has been merged which adds updated vty and counter documentation for osmo-bsc.
add some infrastructure to regenerate the docs automatically in the future.
This is not (yet) done automatically during the build process.
#23 Updated by daniel over 1 year ago
- Subject changed from Document existing statistics/counters of OsmoNITB, OsmoSGSN, OsmoBTS, OsmoPCU to Update/add counter and/or vty documentation for osmo-* programs
- % Done changed from 70 to 80
Changed the title to better reflect the ongoing work.
See https://gerrit.osmocom.org/q/topic:+doc_regen for a list of changes associated with this issue.
#24 Updated by daniel over 1 year ago
- Checklist item deleted (
Update osmo-bsc docs)
- % Done changed from 80 to 90
I'm waiting for all the changes to get merged, then this should be done.vty/counter documentation is updated for:
- openbsc - nitb
I encountered some issues with the following projects:
- osmo-iuh and osmo-trx do not have any manuals or VTY reference
- osmo-bts only generates documentation for osmo-bts-virtual. If we also want the device-specific commands we need to add/generate multiple vty reference manuals.
- openbsc - bscnat: I updated the vty reference and added the counter description, but there is no manual to include the counter description. Adding a manual for osmo-bscnat is probably low priority as not many are using it.