Project

General

Profile

Bug #1794

support random IV for GEA (via XID)

Added by msuraev over 1 year ago. Updated 3 days ago.

Status:
In Progress
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Category:
-
Target version:
-
Start date:
08/09/2016
Due date:
% Done:

10%

Spec Reference:

Description

Current implementation of GPRS encryption uses hardcoded IV = 0 while according to spec it should be random. This random value is communicated to client as part of XID negotiation.


Related issues

Blocked by OsmoSGSN - Feature #1580: IP header compression Closed 02/23/2016
Blocks OsmoSGSN - Bug #1582: GEA Encryption is missing Resolved 02/23/2016

History

#1 Updated by msuraev over 1 year ago

#2 Updated by msuraev over 1 year ago

  • Blocks Bug #1582: GEA Encryption is missing added

#3 Updated by laforge over 1 year ago

The LLC XID related patch was just merged, so this should be possible to
implement now.
--
- Harald Welte <> http://laforge.gnumonks.org/ ============================================================================
"Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
(ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

#4 Updated by laforge over 1 year ago

  • Assignee set to msuraev

#5 Updated by laforge about 1 year ago

  • Priority changed from Low to High

#6 Updated by msuraev about 1 year ago

  • Status changed from New to In Progress
  • % Done changed from 0 to 10

#7 Updated by msuraev about 1 year ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Stalled

#8 Updated by laforge about 1 year ago

  • Priority changed from High to Normal

#9 Updated by laforge 8 months ago

ping?

#10 Updated by laforge 3 months ago

another ping, 5 months later. This is not acceptable.

#11 Updated by msuraev 3 months ago

Sorry, completely slipped of my mind - I was sure I've updated it. There's incomplete implementation in gerrit 1462 which is not working unfortunately: we send IV to the phone, we got encrypted traffic back but we fail to decrypt it (using IV we've sent or IV=0). Which means that the phone interprets it somehow differently. To debug this we've got to somehow get phone's baseband logs. Unfortunately xgoldmon and osmocom-bb do not support gprs yet. Not sure if there's better way to see what goes wrong.

#12 Updated by msuraev 3 days ago

  • Status changed from Stalled to In Progress

The patch is ported to OsmoSGSN and available in gerrit 5788. It still requires further testing and adjustements before in can be merged though.

Also available in: Atom PDF